About Us: Our History
Messiah Congregation has its roots back to the days of the Synodical Conference, a synod composed of four individual synods, including the Missouri, the Wisconsin, and Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS, also known as the Little Norwegian). The devil always tries to add false teaching to the church with the goal that as a leaven or cancer the false teaching will spread to the heart of the Gospel.
The Synodical Conference had stood for decades as a faithful beacon of God's truth, despite a number of doctrinal attacks. (See the Brief Statement.) The Missouri Synod began to falter in the 1940's and error was introduced and tolerated. In the 1950's as the Wisconsin Synod and the ELS reacted to this error, they themselves fell into error. In obedience to the Word of God (Rom. 16:17-18), individuals and congregations began to leave these erring synods and formed a new synod that took the name: Church of the Lutheran Confession (CLC).
Messiah began to meet and organize in December of 1960 and was one of the founding members of the CLC. Messiah found land at 2015 N. Hastings Way and built a modest sanctuary. In 1963 the small group began a Christian Day School. Over the years the LORD has graciously granted growth, spiritually, and in numbers. The congregation has grown from a handful to over 700 souls, the school from 24 students to around 100. The modest sanctuary was enlarged, 2 classrooms added, then 3 more classrooms, then a fellowship hall, and finally in 2007, a new sanctuary and narthex with a remodeled area with 2 more classrooms, a library, and 2 offices.
Our history is a testimony to the grace of God Who has been merciful to us sinners. To Him all glory belongs for who we are today and for what can be seen on our property. What He has freely given to us, we seek to share freely with others.